Karen Armstrong is a graduate of Alfred State College in mechanical design and drafting along with continuing education courses in Survey and GIS (Geographic Information Systems) from Erie Community College and Niagara University College, respectfully. She has excelled from the beginning – working as a drafter and surveyor for Krehbiel Associates and Hayden Wegman; a designer for Malcolm Pirnie; a Lead Designer, Project Manager, and Geomatics Department Manager for URS Corp. to the Director of Industrial and Geomatics Technologies at ATSI Inc. She currently is the President/Owner of CADDimensions which is a New York State certified WBE Design and Management small business.
Her most notable accomplishments have been with leading the establishment and launch of Geomatics Technology departments within all of the companies she has worked for over her 27-year career in the Engineering Industry. This included: Business Development, sales, marketing, customer relations, staff mentoring and development, developing process standards, equipment procurement, maintaining budgets, proposal development, and Program/Project Management.
Ms. Armstrong has diligently worked to educate the WNY community on careers in the Engineering Industry through her work as the Western New York Regional Coordinator for Future City Competition and through BEAM (Buffalo Engineering Awareness for Minorities and Woman).
NOTABLE PRESENTATIONS & PUBLICATIONS:
- Utilizing High Definition 3-D Laser Scanning Technology to Streamline Retrofit Improvementsâ€ presented at the AISTech Conference 2010
- “Using GIS Technology for Document and Asset Management” presented at the AISTech Conference 2007, selected for publication in the June 2008 issue of Iron & Steel Technology magazine
- Drawing Enhancement “CADD vs. GIS” presented at the Penn State Surveyors’ Conference, Hershey, Pennsylvania 2001
- Using GIS to Maintain Infrastructure presented to the American Society of Civil Engineers, Buffalo, New York 1996
- 2009 Citizen of the Year Award presented by the NYSPE Society
- 2008 Women of Influence Innovation Award presented by Business First
- 2002 BEAM Anthony Campagna Memorial Award for Loyalty and Outstanding Service
- 2000 BEAM Charles Campbell Sr. Outstanding Service Award
- 2000 Pathfinders Excellence Award presented by Business First
- 2001, 2000, 1999, 1998 Frederick Law Olmstead Award and Recognition for Leadership
Web site: http://www.futurecity.org